Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Thoughts on Friendship

The entire process of applying to and being accepted into YES Abroad Oman has really opened my eyes to how much I truly value my friends. I do not usually go up to them out of the blue and say, "Hey, thanks for being my friend, and I really appreciate you." That would be a strange conversation. However, thinking about living an entire nine months or more without the people I have spent much of my past two years with is daunting, and brings to light how important my friends are in my life.

I have only recently gotten over my initial over-the-moon excitement and began to experience the bittersweet feeling that comes with such a fantastic yet different opportunity as studying abroad. Though I have began to see the sad side of my newest accomplishment, this does not make my acceptance into YES Abroad any less exciting. In other words, the bitter doesn't make the sweet any less so; it is merely another feeling that has developed over the past few weeks.

I have noticed that my interactions with my friends have changed. Now that we know we have a limited amount of time with each other before I travel halfway across the world to a country few of my peers know much about for an entire school year, I feel that we have all become closer. For instance, I was at a friend's house two days after I found out about my acceptance into the YES Abroad program. My friend congratulated me, then said, "Don't you forget about me." Normally this is not something friends say to each other. However, the knowledge that I will away from my peers for nine months has, I believe, brought us all closer. I know that personally I have realized how much I will miss the friends I will be leaving behind on Nantucket. I will make sure to keep in touch with them and not drift away from them, but I am sure that our relationships will have changed by the time I return. I will have made new friends in Oman and undoubtably changed immensely, and surely my friends will have changed as well.

This new perspective on my friends does not make me apprehensive or afraid for my time abroad; rather it makes me appreciate my friends while I am still with them. No matter what, whether I consciously recognize it or not, my friends are some of the most important people in my life. My time abroad will test my friendships and, inshallah, strengthen them.




No comments:

Post a Comment