Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Expectations


Right now, so much is going through my head that at times the best way to explain it is by a quote from one of my favorite books, The Fault in Our Stars, by John Green: “My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations.” However, one of the latest clear realizations I have had concerns expectations. We all have them, in regards to every facet of life. Sometimes they serve us well and help us prepare for different experiences, yet sometimes they hinder us and cause us to be either overwhelmed or disappointed by the reality of the situation once it arrives. When I was preparing to leave for Oman, I honestly didn’t think I had any real expectations for my time abroad. After all, I had been told time and time again by YES Abroad to arrive without preconceptions or expectations – I was convinced that I had succeeded in that respect, but I have since realized that I in fact brought with me many expectations, which have already been proven false. However, I have over nine months ahead of me to correct my own preconceptions and expectations, and to experience a more authentic view of Omani life. 

I have already seen how my expectations may not have been entirely accurate. When I was still eagerly and anxiously awaiting my departure date’s impending arrival, I was subconsciously and irrationally convinced that every single second of my time in Oman would be jam-packed full of fun and interesting experiences. Obviously, this simply isn’t possible, but at the moment I was completely and totally positive this would prove to be the case.  Since then, so much has happened, and with that I have had both good and bad days. At times everything is as I expected – unbelievably exciting and interesting – and at others, I am miserable and feel frustrated and lonely, removed from everything and everyone I know. Fortunately, or alHamdullilah, as it would be said in Arabic, the good days have thus far outnumbered the bad.

I also expected Omani life to be astronomically different from American life. I don’t know why exactly I thought this, but I somehow was under the impression that every facet of life would be completely and totally different. Nevertheless, I have realized something I hope others can gain from my experience – we are all more similar than different. Despite differences in language, religion, and cultural context, everyone has similar core values: spending time with family and friends, good deeds, fun, and sharing knowledge. In Oman as well as in America, I have found that, though different people express it in different ways, we all hold in esteem similar values. 

I am sure that in the coming months I will discover many other expectations I had before coming to Oman, and look foreword to seeing what insights the future has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment